Friday, September 24, 2010

Hiking the Joshua Tree

Thanks to Lemuel Craft

Living in Southern California, there are literally dozens of places to go hiking. In this case, I decided to head on out to Joshua Tree National Park. This is going to be a day trip; got to make sure things are secure. That means setting the alarm on my home security system, more info.
A drive out the 10, two hours or so, and I'm there. National parks have entrance fees, so I came prepared with some extra cash. Park the car, lather on the sunscreen, grab my pack and the map and find a trail worth hiking. At Joshua Tree, this is a challenge. There are quite a few good trails here and I chose the one that got me lost. Figures, right? Maybe that's why it's called the Lost Oasis. Getting lost in Joshua Tree is a very, very bad idea, so I highly recommend a GPS. Anyway, the scenery was great and I got there early enough to finish the hike out while it was still cool. Spent the afternoon swatting flies while I sat in the shade, and headed back as the day got cooler.
Best part about hiking Joshua Tree is that you can spend most of the day on the trail and still not see another person. Love it!

No comments: